Tweets and Wall writings are now part of the 21st Century marketing mix. These social media sites (Twitter and Facebook) have experienced almost exponential growth during the last year according to a report just released pm social networking stats by ComScore.
Depending upon your own target market, if your business is not including social media in your marketing action plan then you may be missing a significant opportunity to increase awareness, attraction attention and begin to build those critical relationships necessary to increase sales. One reason these social networks have taken off is because they are engaged in formal and informal education based marketing.
Learning research continues to reaffirm that people learn best from each other (informal learning). And with the doubling of information, finding those resources that can help the consumer begins to build levels of trust. Since people buy first from people they know and trust, this medium appears so to speak to be a "no-brainer."
If you decide to add social media to your marketing mix in your efforts to increase sales, these quick tips may help you:
- Determine what sites have the greatest value to your. Facebook is more about business to retail (B2R) or business to consumer (B2C) while LinkedIn is more about business to business (B2B). Twitter can be used in all three arenas.
- Construct your education based marketing messages. For example, I write articles and then Tweet them with a link to the article. Additionally, I tweet my sales blog or will update my LinkedIn profile.
- Schedule a calendar of when you will take action. From daily tweets to writing or updating your Facebook profile along with micro-blogging all take time. This is why a schedule is definitely required.
- Consider hiring someone to help you. If you have a son or daughter who enjoys social media, you may enlist their help.
- Monitor your results. For example, on February 2, 2010 I started my sales blog. My Alexa ranking was around 410,000. By the end of March, 2010 the ranking was below 350,000. By monitoring this real time traffic monitor, I can quickly see more traffic coming to my website. Sales Training Coaching Tip: Download the free Toolbar from Alexa and you can quickly learn the traffic of other sites including your competitors. The lower the rating the better it is. Note: This is not the only tool to monitor and measure your results.
Today in business especially in marketing you must be ahead of the flow as I write in my book on sales success - Be the Red Jacket in a Sea of Gray Suits. To handle this challenge does require devoting time to understanding marketing, observing market trends and further expanding your own knowledge. By taking this actions, you can be that Red Jacket and secure your own competitive advantage.